Greece Real Estate Taxes and Fees
An additional amount of around ca. 10%-12% of the purchase price should cover the costs of:
Transfer Tax: 3.09%
Legal Fees: 1.5%
Public Notary Fees: 1.5%
Registration of Title Deed / Land/ Cadastral Registration office: 0,6%-1%
Technical Due Diligence: Expenses vary according to the complexity of
the research and the value of the property.
Estate Agent Fees: 3%
The new properties (that includes all properties whose planning permission is dated after January 2006) attracted 24% Value Added Tax. However, the government decided to give an exemption from VAT to new properties for three years from 2019
Income tax scale (rental)
Annual Income tax:
– up to € 12,000 the tax rate is 15%
– from €12,001 to € 35,000 tax rate is 35%
– and from € 35,001 and upwards, the rate is 45%.
Different tax rates apply to companies!
Moreover, a special solidarity contribution is due at a progressive tax scale of up to 10%.
Annual Property Taxes:
ENFIA (Uniform Real Estate Property Tax) €0,0037-€11.25/sq.m.
TAP (Municipal Tax) 0,025%-0,035%
Special Tax 15 % (This applies to all companies in Greece which own real estate).
Cyprus Real Estate Taxes and Fees
VAT – Value Added Tax, one-time payment, paid by the purchaser of the new properties and land. VAT on land and new real estate purchase in 19%.
A reduced rate of 5% can be applied to the acquisition or construction of a residential property, providing that:
- The property is used by the applicant as the principal and permanent residence in Cyprus (minimum for 10 years). There is no time limit for non-Cyprus residents to stay in the country;
- The applicant has not acquired any other residence in Cyprus with a reduced VAT rate.
- The applicant must be an individual, over 18 years old. Legal entities are not eligible for the VAT reduction.
- A reduced VAT property cannot be used for rental purposes or any other economic activity.
A buyer pays 19% VAT and after property, purchase applies for refund. The application must be submitted before the applicant moves into the dwelling. If the property is under construction (off-plan) the application can be submitted at any time during the construction period.
The reduced VAT rate of 5% applies to the first 200 square meters of the area of the property. In cases of large families, the total area is can be enhanced. In the event a VAT reduced property is sold or rented out prior to the expiration of a 10-year period, the previously affected VAT refund must be returned to the state for the remaining years.
VAT on Resale Real Estate is not applicable.
Property Ownership Transfer Fee
The property ownership transfer fee is a one-time payment, paid by the purchaser of the property. No transfer fees payable for properties with VAT.
- 3% for property value €0-85,000
- 5% for property value €85,000-170,000
- 8% for property value €170,000 and above
- 50% reduction is applicable to the property ownership transfer fee amount.
Transfer fee calculator is available on the website of Ministry of Interior, Department of Lands and Surveys, here https://portal.dls.moi.gov.cy/en-us/Pages/CalculateTransferFees.aspx
Stamp Duty is a one-time payment, paid by the purchaser of properties and land. Stamp duty is paid within thirty days from the date of co-signing of the property acquisition contract in Cyprus in order to register the transaction in the Inland Revenue Department.
- 0% for property value €0-5,000
- 0.15% for property value €5,000-170,860
- 0.2% for property value €170,860 and above
- The maximum amount of stamp duty payable is €20.000 per agreement.
Immovable property ownership tax in Cyprus is not applicable.
Municipality Tax in Cyprus
Municipality tax is an annual tax paid by the owners, which ranges from €85 to €500 per year, for garbage collection, sewage, lighting of common areas, etc.
Capital Gains Tax in Cyprus
The property seller is paying Capital Gains Tax (CGT) at the rate of 20% on gains arising from the sale of immovable property in Cyprus.
“get informed about investing in Greece & Cyprus”
"our new articles"
Vacation Investment Properties
“best ROI (return on investment)”
Destination Management Planning
“for a successful investment future”
"expenses and documents for real estate sales in greece"
Corporate Social Responsibility (C.S.R.)
"our goal is the contribution to society"
Real Estate Glossary
"a course companion for studying for the real estate"